Senior Relationship Services
We support older people to feel respected and safe.
Senior Relationships Services can help older people and their families to:
- Resolve or prevent family conflict in ways that aim to improve relationships
- Have ‘difficult conversations’ and improve communication skills
- Reduce the risk of abuse, exploitation or neglect.
How can we help?
We help older people and their families with problems with their lives through:
- Family meetings (mediation) with a mediator
- Finding other services that can help
We can help people aged 65 years and over or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and over. Family members, friends or carers can also contact us if they are concerned about an older person.
Senior Relationship Services is confidential. This means that everything you discuss with us is private. We may have to report something that threatens your safety or the safety of others.
This pilot service is an initiative supported by Australian Government funding to 30 June 2022.
It's for people aged 65 years and over, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and over, where there is a concern about abuse.
Family members, friends or carers can also contact us if they have a concern about an older person who may be vulnerable to abuse.
This is a free service, fully funded by the Australian Government to 30 June 2022.
- The service is available in Darwin. Phone: (08) 8923 4999 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The service is available in Alice Springs. Phone: (08) 8950 4100 or Email: email@example.com
- If you live outside Darwin or Alice Springs, please contact the service closest to you, during business hours.
National Elder Abuse Knowledge Hub
An Australian online collection of information and resources about the abuse of older people, created by Elder Abuse Action Australia (EAAA) with funding from the Australian Government – Attorney-General’s Department.
Relationship Australia Advice Sheet
This advice sheet explains what elder abuse is, the different types of abuse and how to get help.
Human Rights Commission Video
“Elder Abuse: Know the signs”
Attorney General Department Video
“Elder Abuse is Everyone’s Business”
Seniors Rights Service Video
Barriers for Aboriginal People - Jody Broun
The following videos produced for the BDAC Aged and Disability Program use role-plays to explain some of the abusive situations that older people might experience.
Please be aware that the following may contain potentially distressing material for some viewers.