Aboriginal Identified Child & Family Support Worker Position - Katherine
The purpose of this position is to work side-by-side with the Counsellor/Group Facilitator using a two ways learning model to develop and provide effective, innovative and culturally secure services for Aboriginal children and their families in Katherine urban and remote communities. The position will provide support for children and families who are affected by trauma, family violence and abuse. The position will also provide advice to the Children’s Counsellor/Group Facilitator on matters related to service delivery to Aboriginal people.
Within this role, you are required to meet and comply with the Behaviour Standards outlined in our Safeguarding Children and Young People Practice and Behaviour Guidelines and actively participate in cultural safety and “cultural fitness”.
For further details about this position please refer to our Position Description and Employment Conditions
- Demonstrated capacity to articulate the aspirations of Aboriginal people and provide guidance in cultural matters to non-Aboriginal workers
- Demonstrated knowledge of the issues affecting children in Aboriginal communities and a capacity to respond to their emotional, physical and spiritual needs.
- Ability to provide an accurate interpreting service in the local language of community members and clients
- Ability to work in a small team consisting of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal workers.
- Ability to work with the principles of confidentiality and other policies guiding the values and ethos of RA-NT.
- Capacity to travel to remote areas if required and access training in Darwin.
Possession of Certificate II in Community Service work or Youth Work, or an interest to work towards such a qualification.
Candidates must be willing to:
follow the Safeguarding Children and Young People Practice and Behaviour Guidelines
take part in cultural fitness activities
undergo a National Criminal History Check
obtain a Working With Children Clearance (Ochre Card).
Applying for the position
Forward your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include a cover letter, current resume and two referees.
To discuss this position further please contact Janet on 08 8923 4999.
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people with a disability are encouraged to apply.